FITFOR A KING
- 8 days
- January to December
- Geographic area
- Level of effort
- Min: 4Max: 8
- Accommodation type
- Wine & Gastronomy
Once upon a time there was a magical region in the most southwestern tip of the Old Continent, which like any real kingdom was made of small boroughs spread in a wide, enchanted landscape.
On this land, colors and stories wandered at the slow pace of time, spreading the word of its beauty and human wealth far beyond the limits of each of its stone walls… and just like in any other kingdom, it was inhabited by farmers and shepherds that hard-worked the ground and the cattle, monks gathered in sumptuous monasteries and convents and nobles and kings which came to the magnificent castles and palaces for big feasts and precious wine.
And so you are now invited to join them! Conquer Alentejo in a journey “Fit for a King” and be a part of this amazing story: sleep in historical castles, convents and palaces, enhance your palate with the best flavours of this “kingdom”, walk through History and let a jeep be your carriage. Finish spending an evening just falling in love with the beautiful Fado in a wonderful wrap up of this tour in Lisbon.
- > VISIT ARRAIOLOS >
- Meet and greet at Lisbon Airport (LIS) and private transfer to Arraiolos.
- Once in Arraiolos and checked in, nothing suits the moment better than a nice Welcome Drink…
- … after which we set off to conquer the lovely village of Arraiolos, home of ingenius craftsmen and women. Though pottery and cork items can easily be found in the region, the main craftmanship here is the beautiful Arraiolos Carpet: pure tradition in the shape of flowers and arabesques, drawn gently by the wool yarn and the delicate hands of embroideresses with deep roots in this land.
- At dinner time you must try the regional dishes served in the dinning room of the wonderful Pousada, a 16th-Century Convent where the original architectural outline merges beautifully with modern details.
- Accommodation in Historical Pousada in Arraiolos.
- > VISIT ÉVORA: Megalith Complex and City Center + WINE TASTING >
- All set, we are comfortably taken by jeep to the unforgettable Évora.
- In the outskirts of the city, in a majestic and quiet landscape, we find traces of the Prehistoric Age in the shape of great landmarks built by our ancestors. Évora is indeed the Iberian Megalithic Capital, being endowed with a rich legacy of dolmens and menhirs.
- Entering the historical city center of Évora, it could not be easier to find our accommodation, since it is a monastery from the 15th-Century and the proud neighbour of the town's impressive Cathedral. Check in and meet us for a typical lunch in a regional restaurant!
- To truly uncover the real atmosphere of this amazing city recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage Site, we invite you to join us on a quest for History, Culture and Taste, strolling between façades of Azulejos (portuguese traditional tile), peaceful squares, mysterious sanctuaries and an ancient Roman gem that withstood the weight of time.
- And because we set foot on a precious ground which produces great wine, we shall end the afternoon with a Wine Tasting in one of the best wineries.
- Though dinner today is not included, we are more than happy to suggest some of the best typical restaurants in Évora.
- Accommodation in Historical Pousada in Évora.
- > VISIT MONSARAZ + VISIT TRADITIONAL POTTERY + VISIT WINERY >
- Wake up for a rich breakfast since a day trip to Monsaraz awaits you!
- Heading Southeast, in the edge of Monsaraz, we make a little detour to visit a small village known for its pottery tradition and production. Let yourself be mesmerized by the mechanical sound of the lathe spinning around, as you carefully watch how the callused hands of artisans work the clay, an art taught and kept by generations.
- And once again it is time for a toast and a taste, as we visit another fabulous winery… the perfect way to whet the appetite for the tasty lunch in a typical restaurant that follows.
- Afterwards, as we move along and up the hill, we find ourselves in the most amazing viewpoint of the region as we reach the truly adorable village of Monsaraz, that stately and graceful guards the entire landscape and the biggest artificial lake in Europe (Alqueva), proudly displaying its medieval legacy of stone and white, the castle, the rampart, houses, churches and museum.
- By the end of the day, we return to Évora and celebrate the flavours of Alentejo in a typical and charming restaurant.
- Accommodation in Historical Pousada in Évora.
- > VISIT CASTLE OF EVORAMONTE + VISIT CORK PRODUCER + VISIT ESTREMOZ >
- Perfect way to start the day: amazing breakfast!
- Our route today takes us to Estremoz, but it is mandatory we first visit the unique Castle of Evoramonte. With an unusual quadrangular blueprint, this landmark perfectly combines the Gothic and Renaissance styles, although the first reference to this amazing building refers to the medieval period.
- Then, as we are traveling around a land of cork oaks, it just seems natural to learn more about the cork cycle, from its extraction to the final product… so we discover a traditional cork manufacturer!
- Lunch in a typical portuguese tavern serving traditional regional food.
- As we get to Estremoz, just look outside and you will immediatly spot the Tower of the Castle, an emblematic icon of our lodge for tonight. Built inside a stone wall, the city center embraces the genuine way of life of Alentejo and its traditional architectural treasures.
- It is the ideal time for you to ramble, stroll and discover… in the end, dine in one of the many typical restaurants of Estremoz.
- Accommodation in Historical Pousada in Estremoz, a former royal palace overlooking the amazing landscape.
- > VISIT MARBLE QUERRIES + VISIT VILA VIÇOSA >
- Enjoy a breakfast fit for a king and discover with us the gothic marble Church of Nossa Senhora dos Mártires.
- Back in the jeep, we ride through the impressive marble querries, which even today sustain both human and built heritage in this region. As an available natural resource, the "white gold" has long been used as the fundamental raw material for raising some of the nearby most astonishing cities such as Estremoz and Borba. As fast as the scenery changes, so does our perception: Alentejo is not only blue as the sea and yellow and green as shades and pastures; it is also sharp white, strong and indeed unique like the stone.
- Then Vila Viçosa welcomes us with open arms! Historical sweet village of great importance in the age of nobles and kings, the main monument and symbol of this place is without a doubt the Ducal Palace. Dating from the 16th-Century, this gorgeous building is a unique manifestation of Portuguese Civil Architecture and inside it helds a wonderful collection of Decorative Arts in perfect harmony with the stunning rooms of azulejos and frescos where it is nowadays exposed.
- In the historical center you will find many different options for lunch.
- The historical Pousada in Flor da Rosa will be our final destination for the day, and what a charming one! Tonight we sleep and dine like kings and queens in a gorgeous 14th-Century Monastery.
- > VISIT CRATO + VISIT MARVÃO >
- After breakfast, the historical center is worth a visit! Crato saw its glory vanishing with a fierce fire in 1662, after prosperous centuries as the headquarter of the Order of Malta.
- Back on four wheels, we cross Serra de São Mamede Natural Park and enter the dominant medieval village of Marvão - built on top of a rocky hill overlooking the mountains, since ages it has been a strategic viewpoint delimited by an imposing stone wall with lookout towers.
- An early arrival at tonight's lodge and a free afternoon complete the day will relaxation and smiles!
- Dinner will take place in a typical restaurant in Marvão.
- Accommodation in Historical Pousada in Marvão, a Charm Hotel within the limits of the wall.
- > VISIT ANCIENT ROMAN COMPLEX + VISIT CASTELO DE VIDE + DINNER BY THE SOUND OF FADO >
- Leaving Marvão behind, we make a little detour to discover the amazing Roman Ruins of Ammaia, the finest and better preserved example of roman occupation in the 1st Century in Southern Portugal.
- Then we continue along the magnificent Serra de São Mamede Natural Park through lovely narrow streets of chestnut trees until entering the romantic village of Castelo de Vide.
- Picturesque and irresistible, Castelo de Vide proudly exhibits its ancient jewish legacy along side with Medieval and Gothic Architecture. Covering its traditional white streets, we come across strong, evident traces of history in the pavement climbing to the castle, the façades, manor houses and churches that in every alley characterize this unique place.
- Although lunch is not included, we are happy to suggest some interesting restaurants and snacks for you to eat.
- So take your time, relax and then return to Lisbon with us: we have found the most perfect way for you to say goodbye to this stunning country.
- Fado represents the most intimate identity of Portugal and its people. It is music from the soul, speaking from traditions to everyday life. It is music for the soul, that feeds our emotions, however simpler ou stronger they might be. It is indeed the summary of this country and one of the most beautiful memories for you to carry: a special dinner listening to portuguese culture.
- Hotel Accommodation.
- > FREE TIME IN LISBON >
- Enjoy a tasty early breakfast and take the time you have left to explore Lisbon, capital city of Portugal, where history and modernity mingle so perfectly, that the outcome couldn't be any other than a truly unique place! Ramble and stroll between the typical quarters, in search of the renowned magical feel of this city and try a "Pastel de Belém".
- Transfer to Lisbon Airport at due schedule.
- End of our services.
Included in the Tour
7-Night Accommodation with Breakfast
Lunch and Dinner according to program
2 Wine Tastings
Private transfers and transportation to/from activity sites
Guide and jeep available until evening time (inclusive during free time)
Entrance fees to Paço Ducal de Vila Viçosa and Ammaia
Permanent monitor / expert guide
Logistic support in all activities
Not included in the Tour
Drinks at dinner on days 1 and 5
Lunch on day 1, day 5, day 6 and day 7
Dinner on day 2 and day 4
Day 8 both lunch and dinner
Food and beverages not specified on the program
Transfers not mentioned on the program